Monday, March 29, 2010

WWE vs. TNA Review: Thank you, Shawn; Orlando Jordan baffles; Swagger flip-flops money in the bank; How was the cage match?

WWE vs. TNA in Review

Last week I thought TNA dominated RAW in the ring. I'm not sure about in-ring action tonight, but WWE had more of my interest.

Since everybody else is posting their thoughts on the retirement of Shawn Michaels, here's mine:

When I was 13 years old, I found out Shawn Michaels was coming to a Peoria Rivermen game. I'd never met a wrestler in person before. And who better to meet for my first time than Shawn Michaels?! I waited in line for an hour to get his autograph.

When I finally got there, he signed an 8x10 and I told him how big of a fan I was. Shawn looked up at me and said, "Thank you. You are a friend," and smiled. I was too star-struck to even shake his hand before I took the photo and left.

Shawn Michaels - the Heartbreak Kid, the Icon, the Main Event, the Showstopper, Mr. WrestleMania! - called me - 13-year-old Adam Bockler - a friend.

Thank you, Shawn.

WWE vs. TNA: Shot by Shot

I wonder if that was really Shawn Michaels' last match. Man I hope not. But if it is, I think it's been beautifully done. Thank you, Shawn.

I wonder if the Shawn Michaels farewell tonight will be anything like Ric Flair's two years ago.

That handshake between Lethal and Hogan both doing Macho Man impressions was pretty funny.

Batista called Cena's win a fluke, saying Cena still can't beat him.

Arizona hates John Cena. But Batista likes fishsticks, so...?

Over on TNA, Bubba the Love Sponge is hogging up the mic. Nash calls out Eric Young and wants him to join The Band. Young refuses, and gets beat up. Hardy and RVD make the save. Hardy makes it a steel cage match.

Batista doesn't want his rematch tonight, and then...

JACK SWAGGER shows up and starts nailing Cena with the briefcase. Is he cashing in?!

Cena counters, Swagger escapes, and waves off his cash-in.

Doug Williams and Brian Kendrick vs. Kazarian and Shannon Moore was probably entertaining, but I thought RAW had this beat since I missed the beginning of it.

What's up with all the legends? Maybe Randy Orton will slay all of them again. Well, it looks like it's a Hot Tub Time Machine plug. Maybe they're going back in time.

But no, it's a WWE Legends lumberjack match with Christian vs. Ted DiBiase. Well this just makes no sense at all! Other than the fact that Ted Sr. was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame, of course.

Seeing Ricky Steamboat reminds me I still need to see Steamboat/Jericho from Backlash 2009.

Sgt. Slaughter does not look good bald. I know he's always been bald, pretty much, but he at least has had a hat in later years.

The WWE Legends start beating the shit out of each other and Christian hits the Killswitch. Man, will DiBiase ever catch a break? I don't know if heeling on his dad will do it.

How come tag team splits aren't as memorable as the Rockers' split? Oh, wait...nevermind.

Dammit, I missed a Pope promo? Weak.

For not really doing much, Chelsea got a chant coming out. I like how Pope knew it was a set-up and caught Desmond Wolfe off at the pass, then proceeded to still "get some" of Chelsea before putting a dollar in her bewbz.

Not gonna lie, I'd do that entrance at Axxess if I was there. Maybe if it comes to St. Louis...

How easy do the Bella Twins have it?

Orlando Jordan enters from the top wearing caution tape and being really...really weird. What. In the hell. Is this. Just because you're bisexual doesn't mean you have to be INSANE. And all he does is sit with a chick and a dude? F'n lame.

I legit lol'd when Sheamus hit Triple H from behind with a lead pipe during Hunter's "emotional" speech.

Tara and Daffney gets started right away (well, about 10 minutes after the "next" graphic). Even with the makeup, is it weird I think Daffney is smokin' hot? I bet she'd look 10x better without all of it.

WWE is redoing the Divas match from WrestleMania? I heard it was shitty once, why even revisit it? I don't know how this went, since I watched Daffney lick her own blood, because when I came back they were recapping Shawn Michaels vs. Razor Ramon from WrestleMania X.

The PW Torch posted on Twitter that Samoa Joe actually does still exist. Okay?

Jeff Jarrett vs. AJ Styles...oh man, sorry guys. I bet that match would be good, but I gotta watch Bret Hart.

Somebody said Bret Hart wasn't the most precise in his promos during his recent run, but they've been very real. He's a guy who really makes me, at least, believe in the Hitman character.

It's nice that the younger WWE Universe still respects Owen Hart.

Miz's heel work was pretty good on the Hitman. Bret, however, had a grin on his face the whole time.

It's about damn time the Hart Dynasty and Bret Hart show up on TV together. A real set of #1 contenders? I'm down with it.

Jeff Jarrett used a pedigree? Huh.

Love the heel move of walking out on the match. Just straight-up leaving. I've always loved that tactic.

Man, this is going to be hard to do. Cage match on TNA or HBK's retirement? I think HBK has to win...

Ha. Mark Henry in a hot tub. Hornswoggle's back? Wow, I didn't miss him.

Did anybody think to say before Jack Swagger got his new ring attire that he looked like a Team Angle reject? Really, nobody caught that one?

Seriously, though, I'm stoked that Swagger's getting a new push.

Wouldn't it just be ridiculous if John Cena picked Shawn Michaels to tag with?

Yeah, it would be. But not as ridiculous as his actual partner...Randy Orton?! Tweener no more, Orton has to be a full-fledged heel to be teaming with Cena. I really wish Cole and Lawler would have put over that they still hate each other, but Orton just wanted to shitstomp Batista for...well, I don't really know what. Didn't he already get his revenge on Batista for kicking him out of Evolution? Are they still using that as fodder for Orton to be pissed?

Oh, it's Swagger that slithers away this week.

Wolfe defeats the Pope after using a chain as Chelsea distracted the ref. If this was EWR, "The crowd got tired of seeing Chelsea in so many segments."

As Kurt Angle enters on TNA, I turn back to RAW. I still hate myself for becoming an Orton fan because he turned into a babyface? You know, if they really wanted to get Randy Orton over, he would RKO John Cena since Phoenix hates him. And they would stop letting Michael Cole do commentary, because he just makes Orton seem lame.

I thought it was weird Anderson announced a match between him and Angle next week on Impact...and the crowd was dead. He announces a ladder match, and they react more for that. Winner grabs the key for the man advantage at Lockdown.

It's the Shawn Michaels farewell and uh...there's no audio. Oh great, my TV's audio went out.

I had to run downstairs to catch the HBK speech. As a fan, I really hope Shawn makes the retirement match mean something again. On the other hand, I'll miss him as a performer and entertainer.