Friday, March 26, 2010

WrestleMania 26 Predictions: Bret Hart triumphs; RIP HBK; Batista, Chris Jericho retain;

Please post a comment below with your thoughts! And don't forget to share/retweet!

I've done my best to come up with my predictions for the Super Bowl of wrestling this Sunday, WrestleMania 26. I realized too late that most of my booking was done logically (or so I think), and there is lots in professional wrestling that defies logic.

The card is arranged as to how I feel the matches should be presented - main events interspersed between lowercard matches. The Divas match didn't fit that mold, so I just threw it in. I'm thinking WWE feels the same way about it anyway.

Too bad I don't have a Windows partition working on my Mac - I'd love to book this show using EWR.

Money in the Bank Ladder Match
Winner: Christian

This has already been slated to open to show. While it is an interesting pool of contenders featuring a lot of breakout stars, I'm betting this year's Mr. Money in the Bank is going to be Christian.

Kofi was thrown in at the last minute, and with the exception of Drew McIntyre, none of the rest of these guys have been pushed lately. I think Christian has the most fans behind him, especially during his ECW days.

If Christian or Kofi aren't the winners, this match will be used to rejuvenate any talent that has been lost in the shuffle. My out-of-left-field prediction has Jack Swagger winning. Man, I'd love to see that!

World Heavyweight Title: Edge vs. Chris Jericho (c)
Winner and still champion: Chris Jericho

I think this feud has been overlooked in the build to WrestleMania. This is a potential show-stealer (along with Rey/Punk, Taker/HBK), and I feel like the build-up has been weak.

The story is there - Chris Jericho bashes Edge and his injury after the two were supposed to be a tag team, Edge wins the Royal Rumble and makes it clear he wants Jericho. But the TV time hasn't equaled the good story. Hopefully this continues into Backlash with some sort of gimmick match.

I hope Edge doesn't win, because we've seen this formula before with Triple H in 2002: babyface wins the Royal Rumble and beats Chris Jericho at WrestleMania. Chris Jericho should add a new element to his heel character by not letting this happen again. That would lead to a fun post-WrestleMania interview on SmackDown about how Jericho has evolved.

WWE Unified Tag Team Titles: R-Truth and John Morrison vs. ShowMiz (c)
Winners and new champions: R-Truth and John Morrison

There's got to be some title change on the show, and I think this will be one. I don't know if Big Show and the Miz will split up, but I think Truth and Morrison have acted like more of a tag team than most of the title challengers in the past few months.

For that, and because it's my only predicted title change on the show, I think R-Truth might finally get a solid push starting by teaming with Morrison. The two have some very fun potential matches together when they split, too. I'd like to see how Truth does as a heel since I can't remember ever seeing that.

Vince McMahon vs. Bret Hart
Winner: Bret Hart

Bret Hart's biggest beef he's held since 1997 has been with one person. I think him kicking Vince's ass would be the storybook ending to what has become, as WWE put it, the mythic saga of what happened in Montreal.

10-Diva Tag Team Match: Mickie James, Kelly Kelly, Eve, Gail Kim & Beth Phoenix vs. Michelle McCool, Maryse, Layla, Alicia Fox & Vickie Guerrero
Winners: Mickie James, Kelly Kelly, Eve, Gail Kim & Beth Phoenix

This is a tough one to call based on its less-than-thriller build-up. I'm thinking since the heels have the champions, the faces need the win.

After the last match, the crowd will have to take some time and regroup before and our next match...

CM Punk vs. Rey Mysterio
Winner: CM Punk

I originally had Mysterio get some heat back here by winning the match, but based on being sandwiched between two babyface winners, I want a heel to counter the Hitman/Undertaker wins. Plus, Punk is one of the best heels in the WWE right now (with Jericho and for a time, the Miz). Punk has had some stellar showings on the mic, and I hope his wrestling ability shows up at the same level of his promos in recent weeks. For how short this has been an official match, they've done well with it.

Along with Taker/HBK, and Edge/Jericho, this match has all the right ingredients for "Match of the Year" candidate.

Randy Orton vs. Ted DiBiase vs. Cody Rhodes
Winner: Randy Orton

In my original post, I forgot all about this match. While an obvious error, it definitely wasn't surprising given my lack of interest in it.

If Orton's domination so far and the crappy build-up of this angle mean anything, he'll win here.

Streak vs. Career: Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels
Winner: Undertaker

If anybody in WWE creative really thinks that the Streak should be broken, they should be punched in the balls. Hard. For all the work Taker has done for them, I think the Streak should be the one thing in wrestling that goes untouched.

Shawn Michaels can always come back from retirement. The Streak can't be recreated.

Triple H vs. Sheamus
Winner: Sheamus

My guess is that Sheamus goes over here. Triple H pinned Sheamus in the Elimination Chamber, a fact I had to look up on the Internet since I've apparently been watching Impact when their segments are on.

WWE Title: John Cena vs. Batista (c)
Winner and still champion: Batista

Unfortunately, I think this is going to close the show. They spent so much time hyping it on RAW this past Monday that I think it's bound to come down to it.

Batista is getting really hot in his heel turn, and I think he's going to beat John Cena. If Super Cena shows up this early in their program, it's going to kill any momentum Batista has earned. I'm thinking this feud is going to continue at least till Backlash, if not until Summerslam.